Haywood County, Tennessee
From a historical past to today's modern conveniences, Brownsville and Haywood County has long been known as a place of beauty. The tree-lined streets and antebellum homes give a quiet calm to a city that enjoys an abundant quality of life.
The first documented settler in Haywood County was Richard Nixon in 1821 and by 1826 it is reported that over 200 families called this county home. Haywood County was named in honor of Judge John Haywood in 1824 when the legislature separated it from Madison County. Haywood, a native of Nashville, Tenn., served on the Tennessee Supreme Court from 1812 until his death in 1826. Most settlers of Haywood County came from North and South Carolina and Virginia.
In the center of our town sits the Haywood County Courthouse. The first courthouse was built in 1824 on the south side of the square. The courthouse moved to the center location it enjoys today in 1832. It has undergone many renovations over the years, but still stands as a stately reminder of our past.
The fountain on the grounds was placed by the ladies of the Brownsville Civic Club during renovations in the early 1900s as part of their efforts to "clean up the town." In 1908 the Confederate monument was erected and was a project of the Hiram S. Bradford Bivouac. The cannon is actually a Union cannon that was made by the Revere Cooper Company in 1863. Other monuments and memorials have since been erected.
Brownsville was named for General Jacob Jennings Brown of Pennsylvania, who was a hero in the War of 1812, and designated the county seat of Haywood County in 1824. Brownsville was the center of the business trade and supported thirteen businesses between 1825-1835. Hiriam Bradford was one of those first businessmen and bought the southeast corner lot on the square. His store soon became known as the only store "where a yard of tape or a paper of pins could be had between Jackson and Memphis."
Today with a population of approx. 10,000 citizens and many businesses and industries, the well-planned city with beautiful churches and homes continues to thrive.
NOTE: In the early 1900s, another community in Haywood County was thriving. Stanton, named after Joseph B. Stanton who owned the land, began life in the 1830s but was not incorporated until 1927. Once on the decline, Stanton is experienceing a resurgence of interest and citizens are working to revitalize their community. The future is looking bright for Stanton, Tenn.
If you'd like to know more about our community, please visit these sites:
Official site for City and County Government
and the local Chamber of Commerce
For a complete Calendar of Events
and Attractions in Brownsville and Haywood County
Haywood County's Newspaper
Haywood County's Radio
Haywood County School System
Tourist Information and 3 Regional Museums